Monday, 1 November 2010

The Fresh Diet - Day 1 (Snack Dinner Dessert)

Ok, end of day one for The Fresh Diet, though I still haven't eaten dessert yet since I'm so stuffed from dinner! One thing I want to comment on is while the food is substantial (I haven't been hungry once), I have noticed a lack of fresh fruit and vegetables. For instance, instead of the half piece of wheat toast, I would have preferred something else like pineapple. I even started craving an apple and baby carrots when I was driving home. I've been eating an apple everyday for months now to help try to lower my cholesterol (not flagged as high but my "bad" cholesterol is a little high and my "good" cholesterol is a little low) and I missed the fresh fruit and veggies I've been eating though I did have some vegetables in all the meal meals today (not the snacks).
Snack #1 aka Hors D'Oeuvre: mini whole wheat sweet & sloppy joe
This was really good but the last thing I wanted at this point was more meat even if lunch was poultry and not beef - see why I tend to eat a vegetarian (more or less) diet? It was tasty. My husband said it looked like dog food but it tasted like a real sloppy joe. It was served on a small little pita and was quite tasty. Also filling even for such a small item.

Dinner (aka lunch): Philly cheese steak whole wheat wrap with sauteed bell pepper and mozzarella cheese
Oh my gosh! This was delicious! The cheese melted (I did a little time in the microwave and then a couple minutes under the broiler) which rarely happens with diet food cheese. This was heavy! There were actual pieces of steak and red and green pepper and oh my gosh, it was delicious. Did I mention this was yummy? It didn't taste like diet food and I nearly licked my plate! Also now I'm absolutely stuffed.
Snack #2 aka dessert: white chocolate chip cappuccino cheesecake
(note that is a smaller appetizer fork not a full sized one)
(a few hours later)Yummy! The cheesecake was light, and tasted like it had a bit of ricotta cheese and was teeny tiny (though the crust was lovely and crispy and something you tend to lose when you get "diet" cheesecake though is there really such a thing?), but it's probably how much cheesecake you should actually eat not the massive slices they serve in restaurants! This was a satisfying ending to the day and I'm still stuffed! 


So I'm stuffed. I'm slightly paranoid that they gave me the mens portions. How can all of this be 1200-1400 calories?! Even though I wasn't a fan of breakfast (after tomorrow I'll be electing the waffle/pancake options or fruit salad) I was really pleased. However, the cost. I told DH how much this was costing me (with the discount) and then shared the full price. He was like, "people actually pay for that?!". I've heard they have some kind of retention rate offered to get you to stay on after the discounted rate, which btw is $29 a day through the groupon deal I got which was still ridiculous. For someone that doesn't cook I can see that being ok (if you're used to going out for all your meals) but I'm one of those people who prepares lunch at home for all but maybe 1 day every 2 weeks when I lunch at work and then eats in for dinner. Even if I buy the most expensive latte at Starbucks and their oatmeal or even one of the healthier egg sandwiches, I'd be spending less than $10! So for me, I would never be able to go on this plan long term.


But the intent of this for me was to help get me over the hump. And have someone making my lunches, breakfast and dinner and making sure I eat something for each of these meals because I've excelled at the crazy unhealthy dieting and I'd like to maintain whatever metabolism I've got left! Maybe they'll have another similar deal through groupon and I can do a few days a month if I feel I'm blah about dieting and about to fall off the bandwagon.

2 comments:

  1. That desert sounds wickedly good! x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. @tam: It is! I think I've figured out a way to replicate it though. =)

    ReplyDelete